2. Fire with the right wood
Not all wood is suitable for firing. And, even if you have found the right kind of wood to fire, the wood is not always suitable for burning in the wood burner. There are two requirements that firewood must meet to achieve clean and safe combustion; it must not be wet and it must be unprocessed.
Why you should not burn wet wood
Wet wood is bad firewood. It is difficult to light wet wood and because of the excessive moisture content in the wood, combustion is inefficient leading to reduced heat output. Also, wet wood produces more smoke and harmful emissions when you burn it causing odour nuisance and creosote forms in the fire and chimney increasing the chances of a chimney fire.
So always burn properly dry wood to improve combustion efficiency, ensure safety and minimise environmental impact!
Why firewood should be untreated
Never burn wood that has been chemically treated, processed or painted! Burning processed and treated wood can produce toxic fumes. Besides being unsafe for you yourself, this is also very harmful to the environment.
A good fire will at most produce some white or colourless smoke consisting mainly of water vapour. You can recognise faulty firewood when a lot of black, grey or grey-blue smoke is released during combustion. In this case, let the fire go out quietly and cool down and clear the fire of wood and soot residue before relighting the fire with clean, untreated firewood.
Want to know exactly which wood is and which is not suitable for burning in a wood-fired stove? Find out in our blog!
Firewood for the fireplace